We are sorry to inform our passengers that all excursions from Mountain Grove, Missouri, to Albuquerque, New Mexico, have been grounded. Temporarily. Or indefinitely. We just don’t know.
But we promise to make it worth your wait.
We are pleased to inform you that (some of) the perks of this seemingly unfortunate (yet not surprising) delay may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- On your first Saturday off in one month (today), you will experience beautiful spring/summer-like weather, with clear skies and mild winds creating a perfect breeze.
- Given this rare and perfect opportunity, you will take advantage and enjoy yourself for the first time in two years (almost to the day). (Check out my very first blog.)
- And here’s how we (the flight-delay people) suggest you start your day: with an 8-mile bike ride. (Done and done and I’m officially hooked and can’t wait for the next opportunity, which is subject to the weather and my 2-job schedule which happens to be working wonders on my psyche even though my body is taking a minute or two to adjust.)
- Last year’s lawnmower will take a crap (previously exchanged for and replaced by three other lawnmowers [in ONE season]), but it will be [one last time, we promise!?] replaced by a near-new Lawn Boy in perfect working condition by your always-to-the-rescue next door neighbor for the measly sum of $40.00. And if it fails to perform, we (they) will fix it, because, hey, we’re (they're) right across the street. (They only had to help me once during the 90-minute+, full-body workout.) Also on my website, is a long, rambling story about my from-day-one experiences in simply trying to mow my lawn.)
- Fill the hummingbird feeder. Wait for the first arrival, which will happen within 30 minutes.
- Move 26 houseplants from inside the house out to the front porch and discover that most of them actually thrived during the winter, to the extent that they are making babies. (I, myself, didn’t exactly thrive during the winter, but I did survive, much to my surprise. I ain’t makin’ any babies, though there was this bass guitar player for a minute recently. Another story…)
- Build a much-needed homemade earring hanger out of scavenged materials in my shed and my barn. (The earring count goes up exponentially every year thanks to my mom, thanks mom! And, it turned out that I had everything I needed and I even remembered how to use the tools, tools that I did not happen to sell at my moving sale. This was a revelation that is difficult to describe. Part artist, part pack rat, part God, but mostly me. I am reminded of my original plan, my reason for coming here, for buying this place. I am reminded of a former me…Not sure how that’s gonna play out, but I guess time will tell.)
- We will also bring you new neighbors, who happen to be real estate investors, perhaps looking for a new project, just as soon as they are finished with their others. And perhaps the timing will be such that they are ready just about the same time that you are (again), which perhaps will be the end of summer? Or fall? Definitely before winter(?). Unless it portends to be another mild one, which could extend the [everyone’s] deadline. Guess we’ll see, eh?
- Oh, and did we mention that we will total your car when you aren’t looking? In the parking lot, while you’re working your second job, just an hour before quitting time? Yes, we will. And yes, we did.
But we’re going to make it worth your while. We promise.